Mission, Beliefs and Parameters
The mission of the St. Louis Language Immersion School, an innovative, diverse, socially-conscious, public charter school, is to develop empathetic, high-achieving, bilingual, globally-minded students by providing a rigorous academic foundation that fosters critical thinking and problem solving.
- All children can and do learn.
- Adults can and do learn.
- In equitable outcomes and we believe needs vary.
- Empathy builds community and community builds empathy.
- Every person is unique and we can learn from each other’s differences.
- When we collaborate as a community all students succeed.
- Students, parents, families, and staff comprise our school community.
- Reflection and mindfulness promote growth.
- Communication can bring peace to the family and the world.
- Learning another language opens up opportunities.
- All individuals deserve respect.
- All individuals have intrinsic value.
- Celebration is necessary to define who we are and what we value.
- Diversity strengthens us and can enhance our learning and understanding.
- Risk and change are necessary to improve.
- To succeed, one must risk failing.
- Honest dialogue about oppression is essential.
- Education is necessary for an equitable and ethical society.
- In making all decisions through a lens of intentional inclusion.
- Data inform us.
- There are basic human needs.
- Critical thinking and leadership skills are vital.
- We will evaluate all procedures for efficiency and effectiveness.
- We will not initiate anything new without prioritizing, clarifying, and communicating expectations to all relevant stakeholders.
- We will make all decisions based on the best interests of the student.
- We will not expect high quality implementations without high quality training.